Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Names

I am very particular about names. I think it's very important to choose a good name for your child(ren). Afterall, they will live with it for the rest of their lives, or at least until they are old enough to legally change their name.

The way we did it for our son was we came up with a Chinese name, then found an English name that sounded like the Chinese name as the middle name, then found a first name that sounds good with both the middle and last names. We were planning to take the same approach for this pregnancy so I've been trying to come up with Chinese girl names but since my Chinese name vocabulary is quite limited, I don't like anything that I've come up with so far.

My husband and I have also been brainstorming the first name ever since we found out we are having a girl. The conversation usually goes something like this...

Me: Do you like "xxx"?
Him: No.
Me: Do you like "yyy"?
Him: No.
(repeat 20 times a day)

However, today, we had a breakthrough. We met a little girl at a friend's BBQ and when I heard her name, I thought, "That's a nice name". Then, a while later, my husband said, "These kids have really nice names". It turns out that he also really liked the little girl's name. We're not going to tell anyone in case we come up with another name that we both like better or if it doesn't go with the middle name which is dependent on the Chinese name. We still have 3.5 months to make a final decision but at least we have something we both agree on...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment